Friday 7 November 2014

Mockumentary: Script

This was the original version of our Mockumentary Script:
ChairBoy

Narrator: [Narration, Several cutshots of Jake doing things]. This is Jake Stewart, a young seventeen year old boy living in Burham, Norfolk.  He likes watching the football, playing video games and seeing his friends at the weekend but when he is away from all that he enjoys nothing more than spending time with his partner whom he has been together with since he was little.  The only problem is, that it is a chair. [Shot pans from Jake to the chair, whom has been on a leash in the majority of the photos so far].  My crew and I shall be staying with Jake for the next week to see if love really does travel in mysterious ways…


INTERVIEW WITH MOTHER #1

Narrator:  Hello, you are the mother of Jake Stewart, is that correct?

Mother: [concerned] Yes… I am Mrs Stewart.

Narrator:  Can you please tell me when Jake started his relationship with his chair?

Mother: [still hesitant] Well, he was five years old…

Narrator:  Please, go on.

Mother:  Well, he was five.  He hadn’t been at school long, he was only little- He was a very easily influenced young boy, you see.  And he saw this chair in the library of his school and- Well… He just couldn’t stay away from it – he wouldn’t!  It got so bad that he was told off and given detentions almost every day!  Eventually I had to buy the chair just to keep him from getting into trouble. He was a very demanding young boy was Jake.


INTERVIEW WITH JAKE #1

Jake:  [Mid interview, very excited] It is the best chair you’re ever going to find!  Look, touch it!  Actually no don’t only I am allowed to touch it, she’s mine. 

Narrator:  What is it that first drew you to this chair?

Jake:  I don’t know really.  It just had something about it, something made me know that I had to have this chair.  See that was when I was a boy, but I’m a young man now and I couldn’t be happier

Narrator:  So you would rather go with a chair than a woman?

Jake:  Well, yes! I don’t see any reason why not. [Growing hostility]  The chair can do anything any normal girl can do!

Narrator:  I wasn’t doubting that-

Jake:  I can hold and sit with her when I am happy, I can talk to her when I am sad!  [looks around suspiciously] And, coitus? Well… [spins the chair around to show a hole in the back of the chair].



WALKING INTERVIEW WITH JAKE

Narrator: [Narration] After the first few days, it was clear to us that Jake doesn’t like to travel anywhere without his chair, preferring to keep it held by a leash for easy mobility.

[cut to walking behind Jake with his chair down the street]

So where are we going today Jake?

Jake:  We’re going to Zak’s house. He’s cool.

Narrator:  What makes him cool, Jake?

Jake:  He’s got lots of cool stuff and he’s my friend. We play games all the time and talk about football and life and school and stuff.

Narrator:  Does Zak not go to the same sixth form as you then, Jake?

Jake:  Nah, Zak is a few years older than me.  We always have to go through the side door so his parents don’t see me, he’s not allowed friends over on weekdays!

[Shot of a sign saying “Dr Zachary’s Therapy Clinic” outside the house]


INTERVIEW WITH COUNSELLOR

[shot of Dr Zachary sitting writing notes as Jake enters the room]

Dr. Zachary:  Hey there big guy, how’s it going?

Jake: I’m alright thanks.

Dr. Zachary:  Good stuff, take a lay down man let’s have a talk!

[Jake goes to lay down on the bed]

[cut to interview with Dr. Zachary]

Dr. Zachary:  I’ve been Jake’s therapist for over five years now and- wait is it six yet? [counting on fingers] One, two, three, four… No it is about five years.  I pretend to be a teenager in order to help my younger patients trust me more, to show them I’m not some big scary therapist who’s gonna rip out your thoughts and suck out your soul like a fresh vacuum!! [dry laughter]

Narrator:  Some people have said that some of your methods are quite… controversial.  What do you make of this?

Dr. Zachary:  Well I would disagree, I think that I do the job I do to help people.  I mean yes, maybe I do sometimes use some ‘unorthodox’ techniques… but I get results, I get the job done!

[Scene cuts back to Dr. Zachary and Jake’s therapy session, mid exercise.  Jake is positioned in an elaborate pose and Dr. Zachary is yelling at him]

Dr. Zachary:   Strip.

[pause]

[back to the interview]

Dr. Zachary:  What do I think about Jake’s problem?  No, yeah I think he’s pretty fucked up.  Beyond my help definitely!  But well, if they want to keep paying me then who am I to stop them?


INTERVIEW WITH MUM #2

Narrator:  Do you think Jake will ever grow out of this phase he is going through?

Mother:  I don’t know.  I hope so.  It’s too bizarre, I’m not sure how much more I can take of this.

Narrator:  Why, do you think it will affect him in the future?

Mother:  Well, he’s leaving for university next year and I- [pause] I just don’t want to see him humiliated because of his… disorder.

Narrator:  And you think this will be the case?

Mother: [defensive] I don’t kn- I never said that he would definitely be treated differently! It’s just… Well, what would you think, if you were walking through the halls or something and saw… that?


INTERVIEW WITH JAKE:

Narrator:  What does the word ‘love’ mean to you?

Jake:  I think that love is a mystical and spiritual thing.  People have been saying for centuries that love ‘travels in mysterious ways’…

Narrator:  [pause] And so do you think love travels in mysterious ways?

Jake:  I think love comes to everybody in some shape or form, and when it does, there isn’t going to be anything that stops it.

Narrator:  So, you’re saying that you think love is quite a bizarre sort of-

Jake:  [laughing] I’m saying that it doesn’t matter!  All that matters is that I love her and she loves me, there isn’t anything else.

Fin.

James Huxtable x

No comments:

Post a Comment